Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bad News, Good News

Thanksgiving was kind of boring. A guy that works with my dad hung out last Wednesday and we drank a little, but not enough to get us hammered. The rest of the week was just boring. I even missed The Ultimate Fighter last week and I still don't know who won the last two fights. Speaking of which, I just read some bad/good news. The bad news is that Matt Serra suffered a herniated disc in his back and will not be able to put his belt on the line against Matt Hughes. The good news is that George St. Pierre will take Serra's place. It gets better. Matt Hughes' right to face Matt Serra for the Welterweight Championship is on the line. I'd much rather see George St. Pierre get the title shot than Matt Hughes. I like George St. Pierre, but I'd like to see Matt Serra's reign as Welterweight champion continue. No matter what though, I'd be the real winner at the end. Matt Hughes wouldn't get his shot at the title. That would be the best Christmas present this year. Still...there's a part of me that really wanted to see Matt Serra put Matt Hughes in his place. I was really looking forward to that fight. I don't really buy too many UFC Pay Per Views. The first and only one that I've bought so far, was Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock 2. I think I was the only one happy with the outcome of that fight. I had $25 riding on Ortiz winning. The fight was only about 1:18 long. People wanted to see a war out there. The ref was horrible. His name is Herb Dean. He did stop it a little too early. Ken Shamrock only took eight or nine elbows on the ground. Ortiz and Shamrock HATED each other. They'd get under each other's skin without even trying. My guess is that the ref felt that if they got the chance, they'd attempt to seriously hurt the other. Their third encounter was a little longer, but not by much. I think it was 1:26. Ken shook Tito's hand and they buried the hatchet. He also announced his retirement from UFC. Getting back to the Serra/Hughes situation, I was going to buy the PPV, but since I really don't want to watch Hughes fight anyone other than Serra, I get to save $40. I have faith that George St. Pierre will do the same thing he did last time they fought. He'll knock Hughes out and put him in his place. I wish Matt Serra a speedy recovery and hope he's back in action soon.

No comments: